Rock painting for kids is always a fun activity! Kids of all ages love to paint and decorate rocks. They make great handmade gifts, can be used as decoration, and of course, are fun to put in the garden and hide outside for others to find.
We love exploring different painting techniques. Take a look at my collection of painting ideas for kids for more fun and creative art projects to try!
Take a look below for rock painting ideas that are fun, colorful, and creative!
I hope you had a chance to check out some of the ideas above and are inspired to try some projects out!
Rock Painting Supplies
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
You don’t need a lot of supplies to start rock painting! You probably have some supplies at home already. Here is a list of my favorite rock painting supplies to use with kids.
- Rocks in all shapes and sizes. You can find river rocks outside in nature or buy rocks at your local craft or dollar store.
- You can use any type of acrylic paint for rock painting. I like to use the inexpensive paint bottles you can find at most dollar stores.
- Paintbrushes in a variety of sizes.
- Paint pens are great for adding in detail! Using paint pens for small areas and details can make things easier for kids. Posca paint pens are by far my favorite.
- Dotting tools. These are not essential but so nice to have and fairly inexpensive! If you do not have dotting tools you can use the end of a small paintbrush.
- Mod Podge for sealing your rocks.
How to Seal Painted Rocks
When sealing painted rocks with kids I don’t like to use any type of toxic spray sealer. I prefer to use Mod Podge to seal our rocks. This way you don’t have to worry about any harmful fumes that come with using an aerosol spray.
Before sealing your painted rocks, let your rocks completely dry. I always wait until the next day to paint on the Mod Podge. Make sure to paint on at least two thin coats, letting each coat fully dry in between.
More art projects kids will love
Follow me on Pinterest for more amazing project ideas.