I just love how these owl necklaces turned out! So fun and colorful, such a great diy jewelry craft that is perfect for older kids and tweens. We love working with polymer clay, the colors are always so bright and vibrant and it’s so easy to work with.
These necklaces would also make a great handmade gift that kids could make for their friends. My daughter loved them as well and couldn’t wait to finish them so she could give them to her friends. Check out our collection of awesome kid-made gifts for more ideas and inspiration.
Make Your Own Polymer Clay Owl Necklaces
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
- Polymer clay in colors of your choice
- Polymer clay tools
- Mini heart metal cutter, mini cookie cutter or cardboard template
- Jump rings
- Eye pins
- Jewelry pliers & wire cutters
- Satin cording
1. Decide on 3 colors of polymer clay for your owl. Take the color for the main body of your owl, tear off a small piece and roll into a ball. Flatten it out slightly and gauge the size. If you are happy with the size then move on, if not then make your ball smaller or bigger.
2. Next, shape the owl body. Gently pinch the ears up and flatten the top slightly. Play around with the shape a bit until you are happy with how it looks. Make sure that your owl is not super flat, our owls were about 1/4 inch thick and just under 2.5 inches long.
Related: How to Make Stamped Polymer Clay Necklaces for Kids
3. Now it’s time to make the wings. Using a clay rolling pin (or I’ve used a pencil in a pinch!) roll out the color for your wings. Take your mini heart metal cutter, cookie cutter or a simple cardboard template and cut out 2 heart shapes. Place them on the owl, pressing gently.
4. Get your white and black clay ready to make the eyes. You need very little clay for the eyes. Make two small balls of white clay, making sure they are the same size, gently press them into circles. Put your white circles on your owl to start the eyes.
Related: Adorable Polymer Clay Best Friends Necklaces
5. Make 2 even smaller balls of black clay and press them into small circles, place them on top of the white circles.
6. Make 2 mini dots of white clay and add them to the black circles to complete your eyes.
7. For the nose, shape a small amount of orange polymer clay into a triangle and put onto your owl in the middle of the eyes towards the bottom.
8. To finish off the owl, add tiny polka dots in a contrasting color to the hearts.
Related: Make Beautiful Rainbow Jewelry for Kids
9. Take an eye pin and using your wire cutters, cut the wire to about 1/2 inch long. Using your jewelry pliers, twist the wire into a loop like in the picture. Press it down into the top of your owl.
10. Bake your clay owls according to the directions on your clay package.
11. Once your owl necklaces are completely cooled, it’s time to make them into necklaces! Using your pliers, add a jump ring to the top loop of the eye pin, closing it shut. This will make it easier to add your string.
12. Loop your satin cording through the jump ring and tie a knot at the top of your necklace.
I love these polymer clay owl necklaces, they are so fun and colorful and make such a great jewelry craft for kids! There are so many ways to make these owls unique, you could change the colors, the wing shapes, the size and position of the eyes. Kids will love making these clay owls and coming up with their own unique style.
More jewelry crafts you will love
DIY Unicorn Necklace Kids Craft
Upcycled Necklace Craft from Plastic Lids
Lava Bead Diffuser Jewelry for Kids
Colorful Beaded Friendship Bracelets for Kids
Follow me on Pinterest for more fun project ideas
Pin this project for later
[…] DIY Polymer Clay Owl Necklaces […]
[…] Adorable DIY Polymer Clay Owl Necklaces from Projects with Kids […]