This unicorn necklace craft is magical and sparkly and kids will love making them! I could barely keep these necklaces on our craft table long enough to take pictures, my daughter kept taking them, playing with them and wearing them. Her friend came over and they made more necklaces, they were a huge hit.
We had so much fun making these necklaces and coming up with different color combinations. They are also great for kids to use as a calm down activity. Tipping the bottle back and forth to see how the colors mix together can be quite mesmerizing and have a calming effect.
* Because this craft uses glass bottles, it is not suited for younger kids.
We love making handmade gifts for family and friends, check out our collection of awesome kid-made gifts for more ideas and inspiration.
I made the most adorable unicorn wishes labels for you to print out and glue onto your bottles. Scroll down to the bottom of this post to download your label templates.
If you are looking for another magical unicorn craft, kids will love this DIY unicorn notebook!
Create your own unicorn necklace kids craft
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
- Free printable unicorn wishes labels
- Mini glass bottles
- Glitter in various colors
- Mod Podge in a matte finish
- Jewelry adhesive or super glue
- Embroidery thread in different colors for the tassels
- Satin necklace cord
- Small metal jump rings
- Beading pliers
1. Make a small funnel out of paper and tape it closed on the sides. I found this the easiest way to get the glitter into the bottles with minimal mess. My daughter tried to pinch the glitter into the funnel (which took a long time) and carefully pour it out of the plastic package into the funnel.
Both ways seemed to work ok. Remind kids to go slow and not rush or the glitter will spill out of the bottles. Have fun choosing your glitter color combinations!
2. This step is to be done by an adult only. Once you are done filling the bottles with glitter, take some jewelry adhesive or superglue and carefully glue around the cork near the bottom and close the bottle up with the cork. This will seal the glitter in and prevent any messy spills.
3. Next, it’s time to make the tassels. These tassels are so cute! I love the colors and they really help to make your unicorn necklace extra adorable. Making these tassels was pretty easy, but can still be a bit difficult for kids. My daughter needed help with this step.
How to make a tassel
- Cut out a small piece of cardboard. The height of your cardboard will be how long your tassel is.
- Start wrapping your embroidery thread around your cardboard. We wrapped ours around about 12 times.
- When you are done, cut the end of your thread.
- Cut another piece of thread and tie a knot at the top, just like in the picture.
- Slide your tassel off of the cardboard and using another piece of embroidery thread, wrap it around the top just like in the picture. Tie a knot and trim the ends.
- Cut and trim the bottom of your tassels. And you’re done!
4. Using a metal jump ring and your beading pliers, slide the ring into the top loop of the tassel.
5. Print out your unicorn wishes labels and cut them out. Using a glue stick, glue them onto your bottles. We chose to cover our labels with Mod Podge to make them extra durable. Let the glue and Mod Podge dry.
6. Cut your necklace cord, tie it around your bottle, using 2 knots, and then tie a couple of knots at the top. Attach your tassel to the necklace string using the jump ring and pliers.
I just love how these unicorn necklaces turned out! We had so much fun making them and my daughter loves wearing her unicorn necklace. We didn’t turn all of our jars into necklaces, my daughter also wanted some of the bottles to play with.
Follow me on Pinterest for more great project ideas!
Pin this project for later