These kid made jewelry dishes make the perfect Mother’s Day craft or handmade gift for any occasion. Bright and colorful and super easy to make, kids will love making their mom’s this special gift.
Gorgeous origami paper and bright spring colors transform terra cotta plant saucers into stunning jewelry dishes that any mom or grandma would be thrilled to receive for Mother’s Day. We love making handmade gifts for family and friends, check out our collection of awesome kid-made gifts for more ideas and inspiration.
I love how easy it is to customize this craft. You can choose the type of decorative paper you like, pick your own colors and even choose different sizes of plant saucers.
We made two different sizes, one medium and one small. They both look great! The small one would be ideal for an earring or ring dish. We made our jewelry dishes for a Mothers Day craft, but they would be a great handmade gift for any occasion.
Make your own jewelry dishes for Mother’s Day
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
- Terra cotta plant saucers in the size of your choice
- Origami paper or scrapbook paper
- Acrylic paint to match your paper
- Mod Podge, we used a matte finish
- Paint pens or sharpies in gold, silver & rose gold (optional)
- Paint palettes, I like to use plastic lids and recycled containers
1. Measure out your paper to fit inside your terra cotta saucer. To make it easy, simply place the saucer on top of your paper and trace with a pencil. Cut out and trim if needed.
2. Start painting your jewelry dishes. You don’t need to paint the very bottom or the part where the paper will go. We had to paint ours in a couple steps to allow for drying time. We painted the top first, let it dry then turned it over and painted the sides and a bit of the bottom. Depending on the type of paint that you use and the color you might need to paint 2 coats.
3. Let the paint on all sides completely dry before moving on.
4. This next step is optional, using a paint pen or sharpie draw around the edge of your paper to finish it off. We used silver, gold and rose gold for ours. Depending on the age of the kids they may need some help with this part. If you didn’t want to use a paint pen or sharpie you could also use a small detail brush and gold or silver paint.
Related: Lava Bead Diffuser Jewelry
I also forgot about this step with some of our dishes and used Mod Podge first. We added the metallic detail in after on top of the Mod Podge and it worked out fine. So you can always do this step at the end if you like.
5. Using Mod Podge (we used a matte finish) paint the bottom of your saucer where the paper will be and put your paper down pressing firmly. Then cover your entire jewelry dish with Mod Podge to seal it. Again, this will have to be done in stages to allow for drying time.
Let everything dry overnight.
I just love how bright and colorful these jewelry dishes turned out! They were so simple to do and make such a wonderful handmade gift for someone special.
If you are looking for more Mother’s Day projects or handmade gift ideas take a look at these Stamped Polymer Clay Necklaces and these Handmade Coasters with Pressed Flowers and Washi Tape.
Follow me on Pinterest for more great ideas.
Pin this project for later