These wreath ornaments made with paper straws are so bright and cheerful, you and your kids will want to make more than one! They would make great Christmas gifts for family and friends and look absolutely adorable on a Christmas tree. They are easy enough for younger kids to do by themselves and are great for working on fine motor skills.
This project is part of a kid made Christmas ornament blog hop hosted by Shannon at The Crafty Mama in ME. Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the post for more amazing Christmas ornament ideas!
Make your own wreath ornaments with paper straws
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my disclosure policy here. Thank you for helping to support Projects with Kids!
- Paper straws in Christmas colors and patterns
- Pipe cleaners
- Beads in red, green and white. Make sure that your beads have large enough holes to be strung onto pipe cleaners.
1. Cut your paper straws into eight pieces each, I found this to be the perfect size for stringing them onto the pipe cleaners.
2. Sort all of your straws and beads into containers and lay our your pipe cleaners.
3. Take the pipe cleaners and bend one end, so when kids are stringing their beads and straws, they won’t fall off.
4. Let the kids string beads and straws onto their pipe cleaners, making sure there is enough room at the top to twist the pipe cleaners into a circle. If they put too many beads and straws onto their pipe cleaner, it’s easy enough to just take a couple off.
5. When your kids are finished, take the pipe cleaners and twist them into a circle. My 7-year-old did this step on her own, my 4-year-old needed some help.
6. Take your string and tie it in a circle and then loop it onto your wreath. Make sure you cut the string long enough to hang onto a Christmas tree.
7. Take some of your ribbon and tie colorful bows onto the top of your wreath ornaments where you looped on your string.
And that’s all there is to it, super simple wreath ornaments that look great and that your kids will love making! We love using paper straws in our craft projects, this sparkly gold Christmas garland is so beautiful you will not believe that it’s made out of paper straws!
If you enjoyed this project, I’d be very grateful if you would share it with your friends on Facebook or Pinterest. If you have any questions or comments, please leave me a message below. I would love to hear from you!
Be sure to follow my Christmas arts & crafts for kids Pinterest board for more awesome project ideas!
Watch the video
Pin this project for later