This Christmas garland with paper straws is sparkly and shimmery and would be a gorgeous addition to any Christmas tree or mantle! Paper straws are so fun and versatile to craft with, there are so many colors and patterns, they are becoming one of our favorite craft supplies. This is a simple and easy Christmas craft to make, perfect for preschool aged kids and makes a great fine motor skills activity.
This project had my kids focused and creating for quite a while, it was easy enough for my 4-year-old to do without any help and my 7-year-old loved stringing all of the sparkly beads and sequins. We can’t wait to put it on our Christmas tree this year!
Make Your Own Christmas Garland with Paper Straws
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my disclosure policy here. Thank you for helping to support Projects with Kids!
- paper straws in different gold patterns
- beads in colors to match your straws
- gold bells
- sequins (you want to make sure that the holes in your sequins are big enough to go through your string)
- string (make sure that your string goes through all of your beads and sequins easily)
1. Cut each paper straw into 8 pieces. I found this to be a good size, any bigger and the pieces are a bit too long making it frustrating for younger kids to thread through the string.
2. Gather your straws, beads, sequins, and bells and sort them into containers.
3. Cut your string to your desired length, you want to make sure that the string goes through all of your beads and sequins easily. We wanted to wrap our Christmas garland around our tree so I made our string fairly long. I gave each of my kids one end of the string to use so they were stringing everything onto the same garland and meeting in the middle.
4. Let your kids have fun creating your beautiful Christmas garland! Tie both ends securely when the garland is finished, making sure that the knots are big enough so that they don’t slip through any of the beads.
I love how our Christmas garland turned out! All of the straws, beads, bells, and sequins are so sparkly and beautiful and will look so magical wrapped around our tree. Both my kids love stringing beads, they loved this project and are so proud of their finished garland.
We love crafting with paper straws, check out these easy kid made wreath ornaments with paper straws that are so fun and colorful!
If you liked this project you will also love these Christmas crafts
Be sure to follow me on Pinterest for more great project ideas!
Pin this idea for later