This Father’s Day keychain craft was so fun and so easy to make! I love how colorful they turned out, my daughter had a blast making them. Shrinky dinks are always fun for kids to use and it was so neat to watch them shrink up in the oven. We can’t wait to use our shrinky dinks for more amazing projects!
These keychains make such a great handmade gift idea for dad & grandpa! We love making handmade gifts for family and friends, check out our collection of awesome kid-made gifts for more ideas and inspiration.
For this project, I created a printable to make this craft even easier for you to help with the sizing of your keychain. This template is available to my email subscribers as part of my free printable resource library. Sign up to my email list below to gain instant access.
After confirming your email subscription you will receive a welcome email with all of the sign in details. Scroll down to the bottom to sign up.
Create your own Father’s Day keychain craft
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
Supplies needed to make your shrinky dink keychain craft
- Shrinky dinks, we used the frosted one
- Printable (available below)
- Scissors or hole punch
- Sharpies or pencil crayons
- Keychain rings
- Bead string or yarn
Instructions to make your keychain
1. Print out your keychain template onto white printer paper. This will help with how big to make your keychain and also help with the sizing of everything. Tape down your shrinky dink paper to the template.
Follow directions on your package to determine which side to color on. We used the frosted version of shrinky dinks, so 1 side is frosted, which is perfect for using pencil crayons. The other side is clear, which is great for sharpies.
2. Have kids color in their keychains with either sharpies or pencil crayons. You cannot use water based markers on shrinky dinks. So regular washable markers will not work.
I love how fun and colorful the popsicles turned out!
3. Using a black sharpie or pencil crayon kids can write in a message to their dad, grandpa or whoever they like.
For the popsicle keychain: Dad you’re the coolest
For the earth keychain: Best dad in the world
Kids can also write their own messages if they like.
4. Cut out the shrinky dinks using the template as a guide. Use a hole punch or scissors to make the hole where the key ring will go. Use the template as a guide to help with this as well.
My hole punch did not work very well on this material so I ended up having to use scissors to cut out the hole. After they were baked in the oven I used a mini nail file to smooth out the rough edges.
5. Follow the directions on your shrinky dink package to bake your keychains. It’s fun for kids to watch them start to shrink in the oven!
6. Once your shrinky dinks are cooled down, you can make them into keychains. Loop your string through the hole and add some beads like in the picture above. We used 5 beads for each keychain which seemed to work well.
Tie the string onto the key ring with a couple of knots, pulling tightly and trim the excess string. You can also dab the end of the knots with some super glue for reinforcement. This part should be one by an adult only.
Shrinky dink crafts are always a hit with kids, these colorful keychains make such a great Father’s Day craft that kids will love making and giving as a special handmade gift! These keychains would go perfectly with our popsicle Father’s Day card craft with 3 mix and match designs to choose.
More awesome Father’s Day Craft Ideas
Follow me on Pinterest for more amazing project ideas.
Pin this craft for later