We love q-tip painting and this dragonfly craft was so fun to make! I must admit I had just as much fun painting these colorful dragonflies as my kids. Using q-tips is a very relaxing way to paint and it’s great for working on fine motor skills.
We all had fun creating the designs on our dragonfly wings. This is a great summer craft project for kids of all ages, both my 5-year-old and 8-year-old loved doing this and I love how each one is different and unique. Check out my collection of painting ideas for kids for more fun and creative project ideas!
Painting with q-tips is always a fun activity for kids to explore! Take a look at my collection of q-tip painting ideas for more fun projects kids will love.
Create your own q-tip painted dragonfly craft
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
- Dragonfly template available here in my shop
- Acrylic paint in assorted colors
- White cardstock
- Paint palettes
Instructions for your dragonfly painting
1. Print out your dragonfly template on white cardstock. Cut the template out, younger kids will need help with this step.
Related: Tropical Palm Tree Fork Painting for Kids to Make
2. Get all your paint colors ready in your paint palette and use one q-tip per color. Remind the kids not to mix up their q-tip colors.
3. Let kids have fun and create their dragonfly wing patterns. Remind them to take their time and not rush. Encourage them to explore different colors and patterns.
4. Once the wings are done, let them dry before painting the dragonfly body. Using a paintbrush, let kids pick out a color for their dragonfly body.
Once the body is dry, choose one or two colors to create a pattern with q-tips on the dragonfly’s body. We used gold and silver paint for this part.
This dragonfly craft was so fun to make! My kids have already been asking to make more. It’s such an easy project for younger kids, but older kids will also enjoy creating dragonfly wing patterns with q-tips.
>> CLICK HERE TO GET THE PRINTABLE TEMPLATE AND PDF VERSION OF THIS ART PROJECT.
A PDF file that is perfect for printing out and projecting onto a whiteboard in the classroom for kids to follow along! PDF includes a lesson plan overview, materials needed, step-by-step instructions and photos, and a printable template.
More painting ideas kids will love
Field of Tulips Q-tip Painting
Easy Q-tip Painted Heart Art for Kids to Make
Follow me on Pinterest for more great art & craft project ideas.
[…] out our Cherry Blossom Painting with Cotton Balls for a spring twist on this project or this Colorful Dragonfly Painting Using Q-tips for more great painting […]
[…] Colorful Q-tip Painted Dragonfly Craft from Projects with Kids […]