We had so much fun making these popsicle stick love bugs! They make the perfect Valentine’s Day craft. They were super easy to make and I was barely able to take photos of our finished love bugs before my kids had whisked them away to play with them. My daughter made her love bugs a house out of a cardboard box, complete with a table and chairs for them to have tea parties. So cute!
Kids of all ages will have fun making this craft, both my 4-year-old and 7-year-old loved making them and had fun playing with them. They use simple supplies that you probably already have on hand and I love all of the different textures in the yarn that we used.
Make your own popsicle stick love bugs
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my disclosure policy.
- Popsicle sticks
- Yard in Valentine’s colors
- Pipe cleaners in Valentine’s colors
- Small googly eyes
- Glue gun
- Pink or red markers
- Hole punch
- Heart paper punch
- Cardstock in Valentine’s colors
1. First, have the kids color both ends of their popsicle stick with a red or pink marker so you don’t have to worry about having the yarn go right to the ends.
2. Next, wrap yarn scraps around your popsicle sticks. I found that 3 different colors of yarn looked the best. I wasn’t too concerned with measuring the yarn, my kids overlapped their yarn quite a bit while they were wrapping it around their popsicle sticks, this also helped to keep the yarn ends in place.
3. Once you are done wrapping all of your yarn around your popsicle stick, you can add the pipe cleaner antennae. Cut each pipe cleaner in half, use half a pipe cleaner for each love bug. Take your pipe cleaner and wrap it around the top of your pipe cleaner and twist it to help it stay in place. Younger kids might need help with this step.
Let kids twist their pipe cleaners into their love bugs antenna.
4. This next step should be done by an adult only. Glue your googly eyes onto your love bugs with a glue gun.
5. Now it’s time to put on the wings. Cut out a heart shape out of cardstock for each love bug. Fold the heart in half and hole punch each side of the heart towards the middle like in the picture. Punch out small hearts with a paper punch in a different color. We did 6 hearts for our wings.
Glue the hearts onto the wings.
6. Tie the wings onto the love bugs with some yarn.
Your love bugs are now finished and your kids can have fun playing with their adorable creations. These love bugs would make a great Valentine’s Day craft for kids to make and give to their friends or to a parent, you could even write a little Valentine message on the wings!
Watch the Video
We love using yarn in our crafts, these yarn wrapped pinecone place card holders are so easy to make and are great for any occasion!
Follow my Valentine’s Day Arts & Crafts for Kids Pinterest board for more great Valentine’s Day ideas!
Pin this project for later