This oil pastel haunted house craft is so cool! I love how the paper cut-outs really pop off the bright spooky background. This is a wonderful art project for kids to work on blending colors together with oil pastels and also great for scissor skills!
Take a look at this Halloween art project with 3D paper bats for more fun Halloween craft ideas!
For this project, I have provided a printable to make this craft even easier for you. This template is available to my email subscribers as part of my free printable resource library. Sign up to my email list below to gain instant access.
After confirming your email subscription you will receive a welcome email with all of the sign-in details. Scroll down to the bottom to sign up.
Create your own oil pastel haunted house craft
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
- Haunted house printable
- White cardstock
- Orange or yellow cardstock
- Black cardstock
- Oil pastels
- Glue stick
- Black markers or paint (optional)
1. Get your paper and oil pastels ready. You will need white, yellow or orange and black cardstock or simply print your templates on white paper and have kids color or paint in the printables.
You will also need white, black and 2 shades of blue oil pastels (or whatever color kids would like for their background).
Use a plastic lid or cardboard template to draw your full moon.
2. Color in the moon with yellow oil pastel and then color around the outside edge with orange. Coloring on top of the yellow with orange oil pastels will help them to start blending together.
Kids can continue blending the yellow and orange colors together with their fingers. Not all kids will like using their fingers to blend and smudge the oil pastels together.
They can simply skip blending or try using white oil pastel on top to help blend the colors together. It will still look great without any blending!
3. Start coloring the background with a bright blue color, outlining the full moon and the outside edge of your paper.
Add in a lighter shade of blue (or even 2 shades of light blue) for the center, like in the photo above. Have kids try blending the two colors together.
4. To finish off the background, add black pastel around the outside edge of your paper and blend in slightly.
5. Print out all of your haunted house templates. I have given you 5 pages of printables! Start with the fence and bat page templates, you can either print it out with the black ink or save on ink, print the outline version and have kids color everything in with black oil pastels, markers or even paint.
Cut out the fence and glue it down towards the bottom of your paper.
6. Next, print and cut out your haunted house. You can try printing this on black paper, or simply print on white cardstock and color or paint the house black.
Glue your haunted house down on top of the fence. Glue down your bats.
7. Print out the windows and door templates onto yellow or orange cardstock. Again, if you don’t have colored cardstock, print them out on white and let the kids color them in.
Cut them out and glue onto your haunted house.
8. For the final step, print out the ghosts on white paper, cut out and glue down, completing your haunted house craft!
This oil pastel haunted house craft is so fun for kids to make and requires only a few simple supplies. There are lots of ways for kids to make this project unique, they can choose different colors for the background and try drawing and cutting some of the paper elements on their own.
More Halloween projects kids will love
Follow me on Pinterest for more amazing project ideas.
Pin this Halloween craft for later
- Haunted house printables
- White, black, yellow or orange cardstock
- Oil pastels
- Glue stick
- Markers or paint in black and yellow (optional)
- First, print out your templates. You will need black, white and yellow or orange cardstock or you can simply print them out onto white paper and let kids color them in.
- Use white cardstock for your background and draw in a full moon. Use a plastic lid or cardboard template to make this easier.
- Color in the full moon with yellow oil pastels. Color around the outside edges of the moon with orange pastels, blending the colors together.
Have kids try blending the colors further with their fingers.
- Use a bright blue oil pastel and color around the edge of the paper and outline the moon. Add a lighter shade of blue to the center and blend these two colors together.
Kids can try blending with their fingers or simply just coloring on top of one color with another will help to blend.
You can also try using white oil pastels to blend the colors together. This will make the background lighter in color.
- To finish the background, color around the edges with black oil pastel, blending it in slightly.
- Cut out and glue down the fence pieces to the bottom of your paper.
- Cut out and glue down the haunted house and bats.
- Glue the windows and doors down on top of your haunted house.
- Finally, add in the ghosts to your picture.