These DIY painted flower pots are so fun and colorful and would brighten up any patio or outdoor space! Plus who could resist a good plant pun?! These would make a great Mother’s Day gift, teacher appreciation gift or just a special handmade gift for any occasion.
These plant pots are super easy for kids to make. We love making handmade gifts for family and friends, check out our collection of awesome kid-made gifts for more ideas and inspiration.
Make your own DIY painted flower pots
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my privacy & disclosure policy.
- Terra cotta clay pots (we used 6-inch pots)
- Outdoor acrylic paint
- Letter stencils (this is one option) I found our peel and stick stencils at the dollar store and have also seen them at craft stores.
- Paint pens if you want to try hand lettering instead of using stencils
- Paint Palette
1. Choose your paint colors for your pots. I kept ours simple, my 6-year-old son wanted to help paint them and I wanted to make it easy for him. We used 1 color for the top portion and another for the main part of the pot.
We also painted the clay saucer 2 colors on the outside and left the inside of the dish just plain. You could get more complicated with the design and add more stripes or blocks of color but I like the way it looks with the text and only a couple of colors. Nice and simple.
2. Paint the top part of your pot and let it dry. While it’s drying, paint the top part of your clay saucer and let that dry.
3. Next, paint the bottom part of your terra cotta pot and your saucer. Let everything dry completely.
We used an outdoor acrylic paint that doesn’t require any additional sealers. If you only have regular acrylic paint, you could just seal it after with a weatherproof spray. But the outdoor paint makes it easy and you don’t have to worry about sealing it properly.
4. Now it’s time to put on the fun plant puns! It was a lot of fun looking up different plant puns to use, there are so many! If you know what you are going to plant in your DIY painted flower pots that can help you pick the perfect words to use. We just put in some nice colorful flowers so I wanted to keep the text general.
I’ve made a list of plant pun ideas below for you to take a look!
5. Once you have chosen your text you can start to paint it on your pot. We used peel and stick letter stencils that I found at our local dollar store. If you can’t find any stencils, you could use paint pens instead. This would also be a great option for tweens or teens that like to practice hand lettering. If you use paint pens, make sure to seal the letters with a weatherproof sealer after.
As you are painting on your letters with your stencils, make sure to peel off the stencil before it dries. Once it dries, it can peel off the paint underneath.
6. After you’re finished painting your clay pots and everything has had a chance to dry properly, you can plant your flowers!
I love how our DIY painted flower pots turned out. So bright and colorful and adding in the plant puns makes them extra fun! These would make such a great Mother’s Day gift, a teacher appreciation gift or a special handmade gift for any occasion.
Awesome plant puns for your DIY painted flower pots
Here are some fun ideas for your painted plant pots!
- Don’t stop beleafing
- Let it grow
- Aloe you vera much
- Aloe there!
- I will survive
- Lookin’ sharp (perfect for a cactus!)
- Say it ain’t cilantro
- Once upon a thyme (love this one!)
- Here today tarragon tomorrow
- Rooting for you!
More summer craft projects you will love
Follow me on Pinterest for more amazing project ideas.
Pin this awesome craft for later