This is a super fun process art activity for younger kids and beyond! We decided to turn our cookie cutter prints into fall placemats and they turned out great! I rolled out paper onto our dining room table and my four-year-old son had a great time printing all over it! Bonus that we used gold and silver paint, which he loves. He was so careful deciding where to place each print and what colors needed to go where. He did a great job!
Make your own cookie cutter fall placemats
This post contains affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. If you would like more information please review my disclosure policy here. Thank you for helping to support Projects with Kids!
- Roll of paper
- Fall cookie cutters
- Acrylic paint, we used orange, green, gold and silver
- Paint trays-we used recycled containers
- Contact paper
- Placemat to use as template
1. The first thing you want to do is roll out paper onto a table or onto the floor, wherever you have the room. My kids love painting on large pieces of paper, it’s something a bit different than they are used to and it seems to really spark their creativity.
2. Get your cookie cutters and paint ready. We used fall colors with gold and silver for something fun and different. Using one color per cookie cutter will eliminate the colors mixing together and looking muddy.
3. Let your kids have fun and explore printing with cookie cutters!
4. Once your kids are done printing, let the paint dry before moving on to making your fall placemats.
5. Once the paint is dry, you are ready to make your placemats. I used an existing placemat as a template which made it super easy. Our placemat dimensions were 17in x 11.5in. Place your placemat template onto the cookie cutter painting and trace around. Make as many placemats as you need.
6. Cut everything out and spread out your roll of contact paper.
7. Cover both sides of your cookie cutter paintings with contact paper, smoothing out any bumps and air bubbles, and then trim around the edges making everything as even as possible.
8. And there you have it! Beautiful fall placemats made from your kids simple and fun process art ready to decorate your table for any occasion. These would be perfect placemats for your Thanksgiving table decor. They would look great with our yarn wrapped pinecone place card holders!
This is a great process art activity that is perfect for kids of any age. Kids will love exploring printing with cookie cutters and you can make their creations into beautiful fall placemats that can become a keepsake to use year after year.
If you enjoyed this project, I’d be very grateful if you would share it with your friends on Facebook or Pinterest.
Thanks for joining me, until next time…
Pin for later